Thread: what's a good pace?

Free Member (Wimp!)

Default what's a good pace?

I've really gotten a lot out of the phase 2 theory lessons. It's made understanding scales so much easier. I've memorized all the major and minor pentatonic positions and the major and minor blues scale positions and I practice them every day with the backing tracks.

I'm really interested in learning more theory and I want to move on to the modes, but while I've memorized the pentatonic postions, I'm not awesome at them yet and my knowledge of exactly what notes make up the scales isn't really there yet, I basically memorized the shapes. I know each person is different but do you suggest mastering one aspect of theory before moving on to the next one or just taking in as much as you can and practicing a little bit of everything each day?

I have to keep my practice time really structured so basically, if I've got 40 minutes to an hour every day, would you suggested spending that time mastering the scales I'm already somewhat comfortable with before moving on or just moving on through the lessons and spend a little of my practice time each day reviewing everything? Hope that makes sense, sorry it's so long. Thanks!

Premium Member

Steve Eulberg has great advice on that. According to him in his beginner lessons he advises that you start your practice session every day with some warm up exercises, then play some thing you know, then play something you are working on and want to remember and finally work on the new material.

Hope that makes sense. Good luck and don't forget to play the fun stuff.....the reason all of us starting playing guitar in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by hemantsachdev View Post
    Steve Eulberg has great advice on that. According to him in his beginner lessons he advises that you start your practice session every day with some warm up exercises, then play some thing you know, then play something you are working on and want to remember and finally work on the new material.

Hope that makes sense. Good luck and don't forget to play the fun stuff.....the reason all of us starting playing guitar in the first place.
    Good advice. Steve says not to be affraid to move on. I have found that the new things you learn will help you with what you are working on. Steve has the best advice on practice. IMHO
    Last edited by Mighty.Mike; 01-03-2012 at 04:48 AM.
    Mikey

“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination
    and life to everything.” Plato

I really feel unqualified to advise on how best to spend practice time etc .... BUT ....
    You mention you're wanting to move on to the modes at some point.

The two videos I've linked below are on David Wallimanns YouTube channel and are worth their weight in gold if you're wanting to play modes without getting bogged down in all the page after page of theory that goes with them.

These 12 minutes or so watching David unlocked playing modes for me in a way that no previous teaching managed to get near - and it was very simple easy to understand and put into practice - one of the biggest Ah-Hah moments I've ever had with guitar.

I'd made a lot of earlier attempts to get to grips with modes but the theory just baffled me and left me beaten every time - very dispiriting.

Minor Modes
    Major Modes
    "Leave me where I am, I'm only sleeping"

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...bandID=1022506

Quote Originally Posted by vikingblues View Post
    I really feel unqualified to advise on how best to spend practice time etc .... BUT ....
    You mention you're wanting to move on to the modes at some point.

The two videos I've linked below are on David Wallimanns YouTube channel and are worth their weight in gold if you're wanting to play modes without getting bogged down in all the page after page of theory that goes with them.

These 12 minutes or so watching David unlocked playing modes for me in a way that no previous teaching managed to get near - and it was very simple easy to understand and put into practice - one of the biggest Ah-Hah moments I've ever had with guitar.

I'd made a lot of earlier attempts to get to grips with modes but the theory just baffled me and left me beaten every time - very dispiriting.

Minor Modes
    Major Modes
    Thnaks VB. I am gonna keep these for myself.
    Mikey

“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination
    and life to everything.” Plato

Free Member (Wimp!)

awesome. Thanks for the input.