Thread: 8 y.o. son When to continue to next lesson?

Free Member (Wimp!)

Default 8 y.o. son When to continue to next lesson?

Hello David, My 8 y.o. son has completed a beginner song book and knows how to read notes and play 13 chords. He is now learning bar chords (doesn't use middle finger yet). When he plays the non-bar chords his finger movement is good but not played cleanly. He has known the chords for months but still has a problem (maybe from small hands, has a mini-Strat). Should I stop and wait until he can play the chords (including bar chords) cleanly or move on. Am I expecting too much from my son on the chords? If I continue how many lessons should he be on at one time? I want to keep him interested but not overwhelm him with too much. We joined Jamplay yesterday and I know it keep him interested. There are so many awesome lessons.

Thanks,

Nico's Dad (Alan)

I dont know that I would stop him from moving on, I personally would let him go on but make sure he practices the things he doesn't have perfect yet as part of his daily (or however often) practice routine. Skipping ahead doesn't mean you are ignoring the material behind. There is a risk that if he stays on the same thing too long without any variation he might lose his drive to play the instrument. Just IMO.

Free Member (Wimp!)

Sounds good. Thanks

Hey nicoj, very cool to have a son that young that is interested in Guitar. Congrats.

JamPlay Instructor

Hi Alan!
    I agree with Jeff, I think your son should keep moving on while reviewing the chords. Keep him interested. I think he'll eventually get better at chords, especially considering the fact that his fingers will grow more too. :-)

Free Member (Wimp!)

Default Guitar your Son use

Dear Alan,

What type of guitar your son use. I have a 5 year old and he is keen on playing and often pinch my guitar. Of course, he just strums without knowing what's going on and he makes the rhythm. He can sing the Blues shuffle rythm.

Can you let me know whether it's a small children size guitar , brand etc.

Regards
    Rama

Quote Originally Posted by nicoj View Post
    Hello David, My 8 y.o. son has completed a beginner song book and knows how to read notes and play 13 chords. He is now learning bar chords (doesn't use middle finger yet). When he plays the non-bar chords his finger movement is good but not played cleanly. He has known the chords for months but still has a problem (maybe from small hands, has a mini-Strat). Should I stop and wait until he can play the chords (including bar chords) cleanly or move on. Am I expecting too much from my son on the chords? If I continue how many lessons should he be on at one time? I want to keep him interested but not overwhelm him with too much. We joined Jamplay yesterday and I know it keep him interested. There are so many awesome lessons.

Thanks,

Nico's Dad (Alan)

Premium Member

i think that the instructor steve has a good practice plan where you continue with your existing exercises to get them to perfection, play things that you have already accomplished and have something new that you are working on.